Thursday, October 2, 2008

VeganMoFo: already a day late!

I have decided to participate in VeganMoFo, which is basically a challenge to write about food on your blog for the entire month of October, aiming to blog daily. The name is a clever play off of NaNoWriMo. So please, sit back and enjoy while I spend the rest of the month of October writing about delicious vegan food.
I've written about food here before, and as is evidenced by my last post, my husband and I are vegetarians. We do, however, love vegan food and eat vegan at home about 95% of the time.
For today's topic, I am going to recommend a book to you all. Do yourself a favor and purchase Eat, Drink and Be Vegan by Dreena Burton.



I'm writing this post coming off of a hummus high. This lovely book has an entire chapter dedicated to the stuff. Last night I made the Black Bean and Orange Hummus and the Peanut Sesame Hummus for my small group. Both were well received, but the Peanut Sesame was the real crowd winner.

I've tried a few other recipes in this book as well, and they have all been gems. The Chocolate Pumpkin Pie is the stuff of chocolate lover's dreams. Dreena writes recipes with her family's health in mind, so I always feel good about using her recipes. One caveat to this is that some of her recipes call for ingredients that must be purchased at the health food store. But that's only in some recipes. The rest are based on fresh veggies, whole grains and delicious legumes for yummy and cost effective meals.

See a sampling of recipes from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan here.

No comments: