Tuesday, October 14, 2008

VeganMoFo: Soy and Seitan "Turkey" Roast

A while ago, I made this roast by Bryanna Clark Grogan (scroll down the page a bit to find the recipe). I am one of the few who really really love Tofurky. Around Thanksgiving time, when Trader Joe's sells them for a decent price, I usually stock my freezer with a couple extra, plus one to cook on thanksgiving. Because these things aren't cheap, and because I take a lot of pride in serving up dishes I made with my own hands, I decided to give Bryanna's roast a try. This recipe makes two of the roasts pictured above, and by my estimation, cost me about $6 to make with ingredients I already had on hand. It did take several hours to make, but most of that time is inactive.
This roast was delicious. I mean, really good. I highly recommend trying this out some weekend while you are just putting around the house. I was very skeptical while I was making this. I was afraid it would end up too doughy, or that it wouldn't have enough flavor, but it was great. The recipe suggests letting them cool completely before serving, for a better texture. Take that suggestion! It was my intention all along to eat this roast the next day, but I did take a nibble as soon as I pulled them out of the oven. At that point, the taste was good, but the texture had me worried. But when I ate it again the next day, it was perfect. Bill enjoyed having thin slices on sandwiches for lunch. We ate one roast over the course of a week, and I froze the other one for later use. I am definitely going to take this dish to the Christmas gathering with my friends.
After making this, I don't feel the need to ever buy a Tofurkey roast again, except maybe if I needed the time convenience.

2 comments:

Bex said...

I have yet to try any of Bryanna's awesome looking recipes and that has got to change.
I also kinda like tofurkey but the hubby doesn't so I make something else and that looks like something I'd like to make.

Jen Treehugger said...

I've never had tofurkey and I've not tried that recipe either. But I'm gonna!
That looks yummy! Great idea for Christmas.