Thursday, October 16, 2008

Vegan MoFo: Product Review- Oat Dream

I love trying new products. I didn't always though. I used to be very set in my ways and turn my nose up at food items I as unfamiliar with. That all changed when I became a vegetarian. I started trying new things out of necessity, and now I purposely seek new things out when I am at the grocery store.
Last time I was at Whole Foods stocking up on soy milks, this product caught my eye, Oat Dream. Now, I have had Oat Milk before. I tried Pacific brand oat milk, and while i did enjoy the flavor, the texture was grainy. Pacific also makes a very grainy almond milk that i don't particularly care for, not when I could have smooth, creamy Almond Breeze. Anyway, from my previous experience with Dream* brand products, I suspected that their oat milk would not be grainy like the Pacific brand. And I was right. The texture was wonderfully smooth and creamy.
As for the taste, it was delicious. However, I did opt for the Maple Brown Sugar flavor instead of plain (or maybe vanilla was the other option, I cannot remember). The first time I tried this was on a lazy morning, poured over a bowl of cereal. As I was being lazy, I ate my cereal on the couch, and then sat my bowl down beside me. I kept thinking I smelled cookies baking, but then I would remember that there was some oat milk left in the bowl beside me. It smelled like burnt sugar (in the good way). The taste was sweet and kind of caramelly. Definitely a decadent addition to my boring bowl of high fiber cereal.

While this product certainly will not replace my normal cheap, unflavored, unsweetened soy milk, it will definitely go o my list of occasional treats. I recommend trying it, even just for fun. I also really appreciate the increasing number of alternatives to soy milk on the market.



*unfortunately, there is no information on their website about this product.

1 comment:

Bex said...

I am also a new lover of trying new things. I have been curious about oat milk so I'll keep my eye out for this.