Monday, July 21, 2008

Summer


This past several days have been extremely hot around here. The weekend was just unbearable! Our house, charming as it is, is not equipped with cental air. We have window air conditioners in the bedroom and in the dogs' room, but the rest of the house is without. I have no desire to turn on the even, or even heat anything on the stove top. I swear my crockpot even made it get hot in the kitchen! It seems to be cooler today, which is nice. Yesterday I think I broke a sweat just turning the pages in my book!

A few months ago, Bill and I decided to try our hands at gardening. We went to Lowe'snd purchased a few seed packets and a couple of cheap pots. We weren't sure if anything would happen, but sure enough green stuff started to sprout. Bill has really taken to gardening. He does pretty much all of the maintaining. We dont have much of a yard, so we just have some sunflowers and tomatoes planted in front of the porch, and several potted plants (most given to us by Bill's grandpa) lining the porch. The greenery is a little overwhelming.
The sunflowers have grown pretty tall, although not all of the flowers have blumed yet. One of them is taller than me, which I think is pretty cool. We planted 4 different varieties, but it seems only 2 have bloomed.
We don't really know anything about gardening, and we don't really have a ton of free time. I think our garden suffers a bit, but it's just neat to see that we were successful in having anything sprout at all. It wasnt too long ago that in place of the sunflowers there was just a bare patch of dirt where Bill has dug up all the grass.

We have a couple other flowers (none bloomed), as wells as some tomatoes and several thriving kinds of herbs. We did lose our cilantro though. I guess it was too delicate for our newly greened thumbs.
The tomatoes seem to be growing very slowly and a little behind schedule. I hope that they survive. I really cant wait to bite into the first one! It would be great some day to have a big yard and grow a lot of our own food. If we ever have the space, I would love to plant a ton of strawberries.

No comments: